Friday, June 21, 2013

Handsome Elegance {Residential Lighting Project}

Remember all that lighting stuff I was talking about a few weeks ago?  Well all that research and obsessing was part of my crazy process to develop a design for my lighting class. Although the class is about lighting and not all the other details of design, we had to come up with a style for our space in order to pick coordinating light fixtures.  And, of course, my obsessive mind takes things a bit overboard and has much much more figured out than just a style and light fixtures.  I began collecting inspiration photos on Pinterest like a mad woman and came up with a glamorous, yet masculine theme, which I have called...

Source

My fictional client is a wealthy gentleman who has a mixture of vintage family heirloom furniture as well as some modern pieces that he'd like to display in a space that similarly mixes traditional and modern elements to create a luxurious, masculine space with a touch of feminine glamour.  To that end, I've designed custom built in cabinetry throughout the space, a coffered ceiling in the living/dining area, and detailed tray ceilings in the entry, kitchen, and bedroom.  Here are the electrical and lighting plans that show the layout of the space, furniture, lighting and ceiling design...


And below are elevations of the custom built-in units and kitchen that I designed. This is my first experience doing elevations and details and I don't really have much knowledge of how ceilings are built, but my teacher thought I had previous experience so I guess they're pretty legit (in the slang sense of the word).  Too legit, too legit to quit! Haha...

All the cabinetry is shaker style to bring in a little modern simplicity, but is finished with crown moulding and high baseboards for a more traditional look.  A mix of rich materials from marble, to wood, to copper, stainless steel and brass create interest and a feeling of extravagance.  And my lighting selection below continues the mix of metals, of modern and traditional, of masculinity and femininity for an overall design that is handsome and elegant.

What da ya think?  I'm pretty happy with the way everything turned out and wish this was a really project that I could see realized, but I suppose I'll get that experience in the future (not for this exact space of course).  We presented our designs in class last night and everyone had really nice designs with different styles. Our teacher was so impressed, she took every student's board for the "hall of fame," which never happens, especially with a teacher who's pretty critical!  Next we'll be working the lighting/ceiling design of a commercial space.
In the mean time, I do have something special coming up... something I've been telling you I'd show you for quite a while. I finally took photos of my mom's TV room!  I'll be posting them on Monday, so come back and check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!