Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year Resolutions

I never really make new year resolutions... because I never really keep them when I do. But this year there are a few things I'd really like to improve on. Lets call them New Year Goals instead.

1. Attend more ASID events.  That's the American Society of Interior Designers. I've been a member for a little while now, but it seems that school and work and responsibilities have been putting a damper on that area of my life. In 2013 I really want to make it to more events. Yay networking!

2. Eat healthier. I'm sure this has been a resolution of mine in the past and I seem to keep wavering back and forth between eating right and not. In the past, I've discovered that the easiest way to do this is to add in a few healthy things instead of thinking of what you can't eat.  Here's a simple start that's easy to apply and accomplish: eat more salads!

via Little Kitchen, Big Bites

3. Spend more time outdoors.  I used to go camping every summer and skiing every winter when I was a kid. And then, of course, there were all those hours spent riding bikes, playing at the park, and investigating trails.  Now, I'm afraid I spend far too much time indoors in front of a computer or taking care of whatever other responsibilities adulthood has brought on. Darn adulthood and responsibilities!  (I'm actually quite content with adulthood.) We did make it to Malibu Canyon for a hike though!  Even something as simple as the time I had my lunch on a bench overlooking Newport Beach and the ocean helps sooth the outdoorsman in me.

Frank and I in Malibu Creek State Park

My lunchtime view of Newport Beach (the photo doesn't do it justice)
But still, I'd like to take more trips to the wilderness and pack more outdoor activities into my life.  So in 2013, I intend to go for more hikes, take a camping trip, and maybe even make it to the snow for a little boarding!  Perhaps I'll even try something new like stand up paddling.  Anything to spend more time in the great outdoors!

4. Spruce up my office. Like I said in the previous post, it's become the catch-all room and I want to get it more pulled together soon. I plan to give it a fresh coat of paint, fancy-up my cork board with a little fabric, get a futon on Craigslist so guests have a little more space, maybe paint my desk and chair, and reorganize the closet. That fake plant has got to go too!

My little office needs help!

5. Get more in touch with God. Meditate more. Trust the perfect plan a little more. And let God work through me as much as possible.

Sheesh... I'm already wondering how I'm going to have the time for all this with school, work, and projects. I suppose if its part of the perfect plan, there will be enough time for all of it! Can you tell I've been reading a spiritual book?... The Game of Life and How to Live It by Florence Scovel Shinn... I highly recommend it; great way to start off what is going to be an awesome year!  How are you starting off 2013? Any resolutions or goals?

2 comments:

Comments make me happy!